DEAR SHEPPEY... PART TWO

Thamesmead and the Isle of Sheppey are joined together by the Thames. Its waters flow in the form of a river up here in Thamesmead but down in Sheppey where the estuary flows out into the sea it must look very different. Sat in my studio in the Lakeside Centre that I wrote about in my letter, I wanted to bring some of the water that these two places share to my letter so I got marbling...
I've never masked parts off with masking tape before - it's KIND OF worked!!!
I started paper marbling in 2018 as a way to introduce a visually beautiful and viscerally sticky side to my practice. At the time I was making performances about sexual politics, which can be both beautiful and sticky. Sometimes words aren't enough. Saying that, I love writing as a way of packaging up and presenting my experiences. This poem will also go in the envelope as an example of something that I experienced in this place from which I wrote my letter.
I don't think I've ever connected with birdlife the way I have here. The view from my studio is like a hide in a way. As I write this there are a couple of mallards sat on the wall, totally oblivious to me, as I am to them until I look up between typing. This drawing is the last thing to include in my letter.
Time to get all this in an envelope.

Popular Posts